It is a sickening feeling when a tenant calls you and you can hear the sirens and police chatter coming over the line. Help! In my case, the tenant called to report that a truck took the corner too fast and slammed into the front fence and house of our rental property. The police were very nice and thankfully the person who was driving is well insured and not injured. But what next?
1) Get a copy of the accident report, it will include the name of the driver, license and insurance policy information.
2) Get photos and video of the damage BEFORE it is cleaned up and document everything!
3) Contact the insurance company to set up a day and time for an adjuster to come inspect.
3) Get at least 3 estimates to repair the damage.
4) Don’t assume that the person who plowed through your fence will have adequate insurance. Check with your home insurance to see if your policy will cover any shortfall that theirs will not cover.
Since this driver did have insurance we will get the house and fence fixed and move on.
But what happens if there is no insurance?
1) You may sue the driver personally (I am not a lawyer so contact an reputable attorney for advice)
2) Report to your insurance company, pay the deductible so that repairs can begin.